Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I <3 Wheeley

I haven't been online too much lately. Since I got the wheel up and running I have been spinning ALOT. I have taken to calling the traveller "Wheeley". I love spinning on the wheel. It's so much easier than spindle spinning and the results looks way better. I am going to have so much fun experimenting with colors and new techniques.

These pictures are of my first skein spun on a wheel. It doesn't look too great!



Below are photo's of my second wheel spun. This is the first time I tried plying. It is just plain old sheep shed wool singles plied together.



The pictures below are of a skein I just finished this morning and I am madly in love with it. It's my third completed skein on old Wheeley. I tried plying with thread this time and I LOVE the way it turned out.





My mom called me last night with the most exciting news. My school is offering non-credit fiber arts classes this summer. I am really excited!!!! I am going to take two of them!

Introduction to Dyeing Fleece and Yarn
Learn to create beautifully colored fleece and yarn fibers using environmentally gentle acid dyes, including Kool-Aid and Wilton cake dyes with vinegar mordants, and one shot dyes--all in the relaxing environment of a growing Suri Alpaca farm. Participate in hand application and heat setting techniques on fleece, sliver, top, and Suri and Huacaya Alpaca yarn; you will leave the workshop with a completed project. The techniques learned will be easy and safe enough to do in your own kitchen. You will also have the chance to meet and learn more about the Suri Alpaca herd at the farm! Bring a packed lunch and water/beverages.

Introduction to Spinning Fleece-
Pursue the fine art of spinning as you learn the fundamentals of this fiber art in the relaxing environment of a growing Suri Alpaca farm. We will cover the basics of choosing, skirting and sorting fleece, an overview of wool and luxury fibers, lock structure, carding/combing, spindle and wheel spinning. You will also have the opportunity to meet and learn more about the Suri Alpaca herd at the farm! Bring a packed lunch and water/beverages.

This weekend I am going to a fiber festival about 3 hours away. I can't wait to get some awesome fiber to spin up.

No comments: